Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Alcohol.

I don’t drink alcohol.  It’s not really a “holier-than-thou” judgmental deal, and I don’t really feel morally superior or anything to people who do (although around close friends I occasionally joke that I am better than them, then they point out that I skip class way too often).  It’s just not my steeze.

The other day, I was talking to a friend and he said “Have you ever drank anything?”  “No.”  “So…you’ve never been drunk before?”  “No…Is that bad?”  “No, it’s just weird.  You seem like you would, like…your sense of humor is kinda dark” blah blah blah.  So for the past couple of days I’ve been thinking about it, and here’s what I’ve come up with.

For one thing, I’m not old enough.  It seems stupid to some people, but to me I just don’t feel like breaking the law if I’m not really interested in something.  And I’m not really interested in drinking, so why risk it?

As shallow as it is, I’m also afraid that I’d do something really ugly when I was drunk.  Like throw up or something.  Gross.  I don’t exercise because I don’t want people to see me that unattractive; if I got drunk, I’d probably also be unattractive.

For another, I really like to be in control of things.  I won’t say I’m scared of losing control, or that I’m scared of who I am when I’m not all collected and in control.  I don’t actively try and be someone I’m not anyways, so there’s no worry that I’d get drunk and be some complete other person.  I just don’t even like the idea of not having the option of controlling everything.  It’s also kind of why I keep this blog a secret (for the most part).  I don’t want to have to give up any amount of control over the blog, whether it be filtering it so that my parents can read it or being asked to write about something specific.

So, those are my primary motivations.  I just kind of stay out of frat parties and the like to avoid any unwanted pressure.  It’s not really a big deal, just something that was on my mind.

[Via http://zackapalooza.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment