Friday, March 12, 2010

Here's Looking at You, Kid...

What a strange day. A gas pump talked to me and my ninety year old  father couldn’t. He’s back in the hospital, his health more precarious than ever.

I needed gas as I left town. As I was pumping the gas, thinking about my father, the pump suddenly asked me, “are you thirsty?” The voice was female, a bit alto, and urgent. I was so startled I jumped and looked around for who had asked the question. In an attempt to influence my answer the gas pump’s five inch (?) screen displayed an image of a large cup of some dark, bubbly liquid.  For a moment I thought I was a character in Blade Runner.

My father continues to decline. He will be entering a nursing home next week, supposedly for a thirty day period to “regain some of his strength.” I dread he will never leave. I read the proposed nursing home contract. As an attorney I admired the language about getting a refund if the patient dies before the end of the month: “should the account be terminated for any other reason…”

How grim… We both need a sexy photo of a live nude girl to lighten things up…

By Tanguero – creative commons

.

Read all of VISIONS

[Via http://cliffmichaels.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment