Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Naughty Victorian Lady discusses her naughty Pillow Book: Part 1

by Lady Carlton née Katie O’Roarke, heroine of “The Blonde Samurai”  

I have in my possession a great treasure, dear lady reader, that will change the way you have sexual relations with his lordship.  I shall tell you what it is after I explain to you how I obtained this wondrous item lest you find it so shocking you dismiss my posting and go about your social calls and rant about what “that Carlton woman” is up to now.

I chanced upon this esteemed item of pleasure in a small shop in Kobé owned by an old swordsmith and former samurai.  A small trunk decorated in makie or sprinkled pictures, a process using gold and silver flakes and powder captured in lacquer to present narrative imagery.  I mention the shop because this fortuitous gentleman was most instrumental in helping me during my time in Japan (as you shall discover in my memoir). 

He advised me that the small trunk of which I speak had lain covered with dust for years in his shop (gloves must be worn when handling the delicate trunk) after a blusterous Englishman left it with him to inscribe his family crest on the key.  He never returned to claim it. (I have since learned that the Earl of Valford was lost at sea and his heirs have no interest in claiming anything that has to do with his lordship’s “Oriental folly,” as they call it.)

The Valford Chest boasts the finest Oriental craftsmanship and is purported to be from the sixteenth century.  It’s a black and gold lacquer trunk accented with crimson red paint in the most auspicious places, of which I shall speak presently.  Nearly every space on the chest is filled with intricate Oriental patterns of blossoms and trees.  Bridges and–

Beautiful ladies…nude except for their flowing kimonos flying wildly about them. 

Inside the trunk is the greatest treasure of all: a “Pillow Book.” 

A pillow book contains a beautiful collection of erotic woodblock drawings called shunga (spring drawings) that detail for the sexually shy the act of lovemaking in explicit detail  (including the lady’s sex with its plumpness and pinkness).  Each drawing is rendered with a pagan innocence that titillates as well as educates–

For a bride would receive a pillow book before her wedding night so she may be prepared to please her new husband.

And the courtesan would provide her customer with erotic pictures to entertain him while she engaged in her toilette before their lively games in her futon.  Many refer to this act as “reading with one hand,” something I am certain his lordship will be familiar with if you deign to ask him.

These prints showcase in their stylish paintings the courtesans, actors and perhaps even a geisha in amorous pursuits. No sense of guilt or taboo is allowed nor welcomed.  The paintings are rendered with colorful harmony blended in vibrant and succulent tones that delight the eye and stir the groin with their frankness.  

The artists portray the act of making love as a passion to be enjoyed to its utmost.  He renders his subject with kimonos flying, the long black hair of the lady swirling around the couple, the enormous genitalia of the gentleman impossible for any man to measure up to– 

Even his lordship. 

Curious?  I thought you would be.    

In my next posting come Friday I will reveal to you the erotic goings-on with my samurai Shintaro that fill my personal pillow book.   

You will return, won’t you? 

I pray you do.

 

The Blonde Samurai

“She embraced the way of the warrior. Two swords. Two loves.”

Bookmark and Share Subscribe

 

[Via http://cleopatrasperfume.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment