Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Squier

THE ARCHAMBAULT STORE JUST OUTSIDE of the Berri-UQAM Metro has at least three floors. On the ground floor, they have a basic selection of music, CDs, LPs, DVDs, and probably cassettes, though I didn’t look too hard. The second floor, while being higher, is not all that different. Most people who aren’t there for listening go to the third floor, where Archambault keeps its instruments: Pianos, Keyboards, Guitars, Drums, Saxophones, Flutes, and everything else you might expect from a music store.

Off to the side, in a special room, probably soundproofed, are shelves and shelves and racks and racks of cool stuff: 12 string guitars (not all with two necks); $1500 amplifiers; 20 meter cords. Everything under the sun, along with some stuff you shouldn’t leave in direct sunlight. On one wall, hanging innocently, are the bass guitars. A huge selection. Overwhelming, even, if you don’t already know exactly what you want, or if you don’t at least know the criteria for choosing the right one.

I’m there to buy a bass guitar, and I’m not leaving the store without one (and I  might even pay for it!)

Immediately I find the Squier by Fender P-Bass 4-String. It has a compact body and slim neck, along with a split-coil P-Bass pickup in the mid position and J-Bass pickup at the bridge; seductive electronics and a great look. Not too heavy, nice beginner’s bass, I figure.

And, at $325, it’s a steal.

Alas, it is not to be. Even if it’s relatively cheap, I still need a strap, a bag, a tuner, cords — not to mention an amp, which will likely be about $100. Then I need to think about lessons! I put it back and kept going. Three basses across and one rack up, I see the Yamaha Rbx4 A2:

I want this bass. It’s pretty. It’s got great reviews. It GLOWS! It’s really cheap too, only $170 — wait, that’s the monthly price. Maybe for Christmas.

I’m beginning to get disappointed; I don’t get paid at the CSA until the 5th of October, and I’m already drowning in debt. It’s beginning to look like a lost cause. In this moment of moodiness I find the Squier by Fender Affinity. A single split-coil pickup; rather boring color scheme; large head. But I try it out, plug it into the amp they let you test, and pluck. The bass, pressed against my stomach, sends wonderful vibrations across my chest and down my legs. I can feel it in my shoulders! Basses are sexy, and this one hums in all the right ways. Its the Little Black Engine that Will.

Better yet, it comes in a box with everything I need: an amp, cords, headphones, a strap, a bag, and lots of love, all for under $400.

His name is Haptic. (I know it’s a he because girls don’t sound so deep and dark.) I even have lessons starting on the Tuesday. Rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment